Gadding about in our Alpine is an ongoing education. I learned something new on Sunday morning. We were getting ourselves ready to leave for the glass float excursion when we noticed what looked like a miniature rail-car moving along the railroad that passes through the casino grounds.
It was hilarious. It reminded me of a Smart Car on a train track.
Inside were a couple of people who waved as they chugged past. We waved back and noticed that several more were approaching. I grabbed my camera.
This was a first for me so I looked it up. Now I know that these noisy vehicles are speeders, also known as a railway car, putt-putt, track-maintenance car, crew jigger, trike, quad, trolley, inspection car or draisine, once used as railroad inspection cars.
I also found out that these vehicles are sought after by folks around the US and Canada. They belong to clubs and venture out together on outings, traveling along railroads in convoy. The speeder group we saw was granted permission to use the Coos Bay rail line for their annual rally, which happened to coincide with our rally.
It is always fascinating to discover the various interests folks have, and the different types of organizations there are. We are no different, I suppose, traveling with our Alpine group. But at least we travel in comfort. It must be a long and very noisy journey in these slow-moving speeders and surely only the very committed enthusiast must want to travel in this novel if not unique way.
Ah, the places we go and the things we see and learn....
Here are a couple of links for further information: