Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I hate crows!!!

I have never been a fan of these noisy, cacophonous creatures.  I know that crows are supposed to be quite intelligent, and I read about how they can be trained to help the police with face recognition. But after several of these beady-eyed birds literally tore our picnic tablecloth to shreds, I detest them and feel a strong urge to wring their little black necks.  Well, obviously I won't do that, but I sure would like to.
I remembered to bring along a piece of flannel-backed plastic fabric that is ideal for outside tablecloths.  And I happily covered our picnic table at our site, even remembering the clips that hold the cloth down in wind (and every afternoon it can get breezy here at the beach).  Well, later in the afternoon we were inside and I was probably working on my post when I heard scratching sounds outside.  Eventually when I got up to take a look, there were three black crows on the table, busily pecking at the cloth and tearing it to shreds.
Michael said later that I missed a good photo op.
Ha!  I flew outside and was dismayed to see how much damage these stoopid birds had already done. There was nothing to salvage - the entire cloth was destroyed and I had to toss it.  It had not even been outside for more than a few hours.
Needless to say, the birds heard exactly how I felt as I angrily shooed them away.  The rest of the campground possibly heard me too.

A day or so later, as we were on our way to the beach, we walked past the dumpster to toss our garbage.  We noticed a red and white checkerboard picnic tablecloth had been thrown out....and wondered if the same hateful crows had attacked that one too.